Monday, January 25, 2010

Let the Fun Begin: Half Marathon Training Starts NOW

The question is no longer, can I run 13.1 miles. The question now is how fast can I run 13.1 miles. Last year was my introduction year, this year will be about sweat, hard work, tears (I’m sure they will come at some point…I’m taking bet’s on March), and hopefully gratification. I still get giggly when Im running and I feel strong and fast (fast is relative to my level). Over the next three months my workouts will get harder then anything I have ever done before (yes I am stating for the record that running IS harder than cheering, dancing and gymnastics) but I hope to remind myself that I must always be thankful. I have a healthy body that I can push to new limits, and it wasn’t always this way.

This past week I knew what I was about to get into so I took it some what easy. Our running group with the Columbus Running Company also kicked off the spring training program with the Cbus Pacer group runs this Saturday. They have group runs year round, but the idea during training period is to have certain people designated at certain paces so someone is always in ear or eye shot of another runner. I took up the 10 min mile pace, since that is what I typically should run my easy long runs at and I know the route. There were about 6 of us grouped together, and it was a good time. Chris ended up playing zigzag, and was running back and fourth checking on the runners. That night a bunch of use got together for pizza. It was so funny trying to recognize everyone with regular clothes on, clean/dry hair, and not gasping for air. We had a blast!

M- 5.6 @ 9:30 pace (abs)
T- Off (Push ups)
W- 6 easy 10:16 pace
Th- 4 easy 10:32 pace
F- Off
S- 8 miles (first 3 9:18 pace, and last 5 with running club group at 10:16)

Total: 23.6

That was the end of so many easy runs (at least for the next 3 months). Yesterday I kicked off my new training plan with 5 mile fartlek’s 10 x 1 mile hard, 1 mile easy (I miss counted and did 11). The run looked like this:
Mile 1- 10:40
Mile 2- 10:46
Splits: 8:27, 8:13, 8:00, 8:00, 8:06, 7:55, 7:51, 7:44, 7:06, 7:03, 7:11
Last.71- 10:39

I also wore my heart rate monitor since I am on the edge about what pace I should consider “hard” (and that I can repeat that many times). I started off hitting above my 5k pace (8:16), and my HR was staying in the 175 range. I started moving it up a tad, and then figured after half way I still had something left so I kept bumping it up. When I finally got into the 7 min mile range my HR went to 187. I think the 7 min mile range should have been what I ran all of them in, but I didn’t go flying off the back of the treadmill so I think we have to call day one, week one a success.

I have a total of 34 miles planned for this week, which seems crazy since I just worked my butt off to get 30 mpw (just a few weeks ago).

2 comments:

Alee said...

I'm starting my half training today too! This will be my first. I put my training schedule up on my blog if you're interested.

Unknown said...

Awesome girl!